Friday, May 27, 2011

Letters of Rec

So I started making my first steps toward becoming a principal a few weeks ago. In order to be a principal you have to have an admin. credential much like teachers have to have a teaching credential. One of the application requirements for the credential program is to have letters of recommendation from people you have worked with that have seen you in a leadership type role blah blah blah.

I've had to ask for letters of rec. a lot in my life because it's a big part of the post-grad and teaching profession. The thing is... I can never get use to how nice they sound. I mean in a weird way they have to be over the top in their praise otherwise you may not get admission into a program or get a job. I always wondered who reads these letters and do they really get a good sense of who the person is before meeting them. When I read the amazing letters I requested from my principal and a supervisor for our ELL (English Language Learners) program I couldn't help but think... is that me? Even the wife said, "Who are you?" I know I can be many things, (weird, funny, loud, awesome) but it's weird how I have grown professionally. The seven year ago me would never be able to recognize the present day me.

No comments:

Post a Comment